>> Monday, March 29, 2010
While I'm excited that the gables on the garden shed were covered this weekend I'm a little disappointed the garden shed siding isn't finished. As it turns out I ran one piece of siding short of finishing the job! It's an awful feeling to realize that you're only a couple steps away from completing a task but you can't. The areas that still need siding are on the left and right sides - one piece will do it.
When covering the gables I decided to try a slightly different approach than I originally intended. I began thinking I would go horizontally all the way up to the peak. What I ended up doing looks much better as it gives the gable area a little more character - I went diagonally. I began with the top pieces - cut them to fit then measured all the pieces below it. Then I came back and put the pieces on from the bottom and layered up.
The front of the garden shed only needed two layers of siding while the back needed three to completely cover the gables.
I still have some work on the inside to complete, which is mainly covering more walls with plywood. Hopefully this week I can complete the siding and put up the plywood then I can begin sealing up the air gaps. Now that will be time consuming! It won't be long before I can start some cuttings in the garden shed!