>> Sunday, January 3, 2010
Before Christmas we managed one more work day on the greenhouse shed. It was the last work day since the recent temperatures have been unbearably cold for working. It's not predicted to be above freezing at all in the forecast. Snow is even being mentioned but I'll believe it when I see it!
We managed to haul in 6000 lbs. of crushed gravel as base for the greenhouse flooring. Eventually I hope to use salvaged brick or paving stones on top of the gravel for the floor. The floor needs to be porous for water to flow through but still good for feet.
We also managed to close up a gap in between the front two French doors. Once the doors were hung there was a 3/4 inch gap between them. We measured perfectly for the opening but had to remove some pieces from the door to make them work. OK I guess that really means we didn't measure perfectly - or at least we didn't take the extra pieces in account. Whatever the case we replaced the parts we took off with some wood pieces that really work great and close in the gap snugly. On the outside of the front doors we put some old molding that came from our house's back door. We had a new patio door replaced and saved the old trim molding just in case we could use it. It's nailed to the door on the right which opens outward. We'll eventually paint it to match the doors.
On the inside we attached a strip of wood to the other door. It completely closes in the gap from the inside and gives the door knob something to lock into. I'm planning on painting the inside of the door eventually but that is very low on the priority list!
Now if the cold would relent for a day or two and go back into the 40's I might actually be able to get more work done!