From the Beginning Until Now

>> Sunday, December 20, 2009

I thought it might be interesting to look back at my greenhouse shed project from where it began to its current and still incomplete state. I have a lot more to do to get it ready for holding equipment, gardening supplies, and (of course) the plants! I put together a slideshow to share the greenhouse project's progress from August (with pictures of the site) until December (and its current appearance).

I hope you enjoy! (You may have to pause it to see the pictures as they go by fairly quickly. The total video is 4 min and 36 seconds long.)


Read more...

Greenhouse Roof Finally Enclosed

>> Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Finally the major air gap that lurked just beneath the roof line has been enclosed and trimmed up. It's not air tight yet and needs sealing but the major 3.5 inch x 16 foot gaps are no longer open on the sides of the greenhouse. I'm not ready to open the champagne yet but I feel like a major weight has been lifted!

Front Greenhouse View:

I figured out how to remove the old rusted deadbolt from the front door. I drilled the heads off.  It took some time but once the heads were removed the lock and screws came out easily.  Now I can get the front door ready for use. The doors swing outward and soon I can replace the old lock with a different lock that can be keyed to match the other locks.



The East Side Greenhouse View:

This side is where three large windows were converted from patio doors. I even rigged up a nice little shelf for small plants outside the window in the back. The two patio doors toward the front of the greenhouse still need sealed up around the cracks. We left some gaps intentionally so that they could be fit in easily and figured we would come back to caulk/weather strip later.



The Back Greenhouse View:

One neat feature I'm working on is a secret door. Obviously it can't be that secret if I'm talking about it on the internet but it will be hidden from view most of the time. The door on the back opens easily without the wall-door opening on the right. I'm arranging the trim to go around the left door but freely open with the right wall-door. I'll do a post on it later once it's all put together.



The West Side Greenhouse View:

Here's the west side view. There won't be much siding to put on this side! The almost 6'x7' windows will provide quite a bit of light for plant starting in the spring. I may need supplemental light since starting seeds in February can be a challenge when the sun doesn't shine. The windows in the roof are catching a good amount of afternoon sun which will help heat the greenhouse but won't necessarily provide extra light for the plants. All my early spring cuttings will do great in this setting!



I can't wait to be done with the ladders you see inside the windows! I'll still need them to do the siding and various parts of the inside but I'm getting there, one warm winter day at a time.

Read more...

The Greenhouse: What To Do Next?

>> Friday, December 11, 2009

It's been several days since I've been able to accomplish anything on the greenhouse. I'm hoping that Monday will be the day to get things done as it's predicted to be 60 degrees with only a 20% chance of rain. Usually the 20% chance of rain will happen right when I don't want it so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. Under the picture you will see a short list of what I want to get accomplished on Monday.



The Greenhouse To-Do List for Monday

Read more...

Greenhouse Security

>> Thursday, December 3, 2009

Despite recent events at the White House the security of my greenhouse shed just won't ever be as good as that of the Secret service. Since it is also a shed and will be housing my lawnmowers, weedeater, various garden tools, hoses, and all the plants I hope to propagate I need something to keep people out. Tools don't walk out by themselves do they? Our neighborhood is a very safe one but you never know when something could happen. My goal is to make sure the greenhouse shed is easily accessible through our own house key which means I may have to visit a locksmith at some point.

My biggest issue right now is the front door deadbolt lock. It came with the set of French doors that I put on the front of the greenhouse and it's extremely corroded due to age and the weather. Ideally I would simply remove the deadbolt make a new door hole for a more modern style deadbolt and install one. I have several leftover from changing the locks on our house but don't have keys for them. The problem with simply removing the lock is that the screws are stripped and rusted which makes any attempt at removing them very difficult! Any ideas?



On the left front door I installed a sliding latch to keep it stationary. I improvised a metal brace for the latch to lock into by taking two receiving plates and reversing them against each other so that the smooth ends are facing opposite directions. My goal was to reduce a tripping hazard without creating a new hole where water could collect on the threshold.



The back door has one side that will be disguised as part of the wall but can be opened like a standard gate. To hold it closed I adapted two gate latches that I picked up from the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store.


The picture quality isn't great since it was another cloudy and rainy day, but you can get the point! The doors are held closed with the top and bottom latches and can easily be opened whenever I need both back doors opened. Which will only be when the mowers are needed.


Read more...

Search for More Information on Gardening in The Home Garden

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP